Tis’ the Dry Eye season! Dry eye syndrome is a commonly found syndrome among people these days. It is usually caused because of chronic lack of adequate moisture or lubrication on the surface of your eye. If this syndrome is not taken seriously, it can have huge repercussions ranging from eye irritation to severe inflammation.
Also known as dry eye disease or “dry eye”, this syndrome can be medically explained as:
- Dysfunctional tear syndrome – Emphasizes that quality of tears is as important as quantity
- Keratoconjunctivitis sicca – Describes the dry eye that affects both conjunctiva and cornea
- Keratitis sicca – Describes dryness and inflammation of the cornea
Dry eye – symptoms
Some of the commonly observed symptoms in someone having dry eye are:
- Stinging or scratchy sensation in the eyes
- Fatigued eyes
- Redness of the eye
- Blurred vision
- Photophobia or sensitivity to light
- Watery eyes
Dry eyes – causes
The dry eye causes are fairly limited and can be cured easily. The main cause of dry eyes is because of lack of adequate tears. The tears in a human eye are a mixture of water, mucus, and fatty oils. It usually keeps the surface of the eye clear and smooth while also protecting the eye from infection.
Other reasons might be due to lack of tear production, increased tear evaporation, and even due to the imbalance in the makeup of tears.
Dry eyes –check if you have dry eyes by scheduling your eye exam, in Sugarland TX
Various tests and procedures can be carried out to determine the cause and state of your dry eyes. Some of them are:
- A comprehensive eye exam – If the doctor gets the general idea of your eye health history and your overall health, they can give you the exact cause of dry eyes and help you go for the right dry eye treatment at Evolutionary Eye Care, Sugarland,TX.
- Measure the tear volume – Schiermer’s test can be used by doctors to measure the tear production. In this test, the doctor places blotted strips of paper under the patient’s low eyelids. After waiting for 5 min, the doctor will measure the amount of paper that is soaked in tears.
- Determine the tear quality – Another method is by using dyes in eye drops for determining the condition of your eye surface. The doctor will look for staining patterns of the cornea and measure the time taken for the tears to evaporate.
Dry eye – measures to prevent dry eye
- Try to add more moisture in the air. Make use of humidifiers for indoor air.
- Avoid blowing air in or around your eyes. Try to decrease the use of hair dryers and car heaters as they affect your eyes.
- Take eye breaks constantly whenever you have to look at the screen or read or doing something that needs visual concentration.
- Adjust the position of the screen and keep it below eye level. If the screen is above your eye level, you will need to open your eyes wider which can easily affect your eyes.
- Stop smoking and avoid going nearby smoke. If you have a habit of smoking, try to quit smoking as it will help improve your overall health as well.
For more information, you can visit the official website of Evolutionary Eye Care They have a team of specialists that provide quality eye exams, in Sugarland TX for you and your family.